Monday, June 24, 2013

Chapter 9 Alicia Barney

Now that the truth had come out, things in the Zion house were calmer. Aria continued her visits to Bridgeport but this time with Hunter by her side. It was on one of these visits something odd caught her eye.  Joseph and Maria who looked after him, were living in Ariel's house, although mansion would be a more appropriate term for it. She was looking at pictures of Ariel's family, the family that ruined her bio mother's life, and yet she couldn't understand why she displayed them proudly. She picked up one and was surprised to see the woman had Aria's own hair color, she was standing beside a man with two baby girls.
 "That's the Barnies," Maria told her coming behind her.
 That name reminded her of something she had been told by Hunter C how Alicia couldn't come in because she just had twins. 
"Who's that one?" Aria questioned pointing to the girl only a couple years older than her. 
"Alicia, she's Ariel's much younger sister, your hair and her hair comes from Ariel's grandmother," Maria explained. 
Aria however wasn't listening to the part about the hair, "Where does she live?" Aria quickly asked putting the pieces together. 
"In Riverview, I'm surprised you haven't seen her," Maria said. 
"Hmm," Aria muttered. 

"Why didn't she just come out and say it?" Aria asked Hunter as they talked about it back at home.

 "I don't know maybe she didn't realize you were related," Hunter replied always the one for logic. 
"No, their whole family have a huge reach, that's not it," Aria argued, pondering on it, "and the fact I don't see her, it’s the hair. I mean how many people do you know born with natural red streaks and tips." 

"If she really wanted to she could of said she dyed it," Hunter told her, again the voice of reason. 
Aria shook her head, "No Ariel said that her family always takes care of it's own, I'm one of them what if my job my promotions were all of their design," Aria protested. 
Hunter considered her words, "You're going to have to ask her," was all he said. 

Aria paused afraid now that everything she wanted to know, wouldn't give her the answers she wanted to hear. "I don't know where she lives," Aria replied, the final argument that her brain demanded of her. 

"We'll look her up because something tells me you need this," Hunter told her, giving his wife a reassuring hug. 

It was that conversation that led Aria to stand outside a mansion, that put Joseph's house to shame. 
Nervously she walked to the door, wishing she had accepted Hunter's offer to come. She had been sure that this was something she needed to do alone, now Aria wasn't so sure. The simple chime of the bell, didn't seem nearly loud enough to echo through the huge house. 

After a couple of minutes of waiting, Aria descended back down the steps, but stopped when she heard her name called.

 "Aria," a familiar brave voice called out. 
Aria turned to face it and was affronted with a hug, like she was some long-lost family member and Aria supposed that she was. As Aria was released she turned to look at her attacker and was, even though she had expected it, still shocked to see the familiar hair. 
"Alicia," she guessed.
 "Who else? I'm so glad I can finally meet you," she said, chewing the bottom of her lip for the first time looking nervous, "I really wanted to call, but Daddy told me to wait for you to find me." 
Aria frowned, so they had known who she was, Alicia'a father her grandfather. 
"Its nice to meet you too but I just wanted to ask you a few things," Aria admitted, unsure of what to say. Alicia didn't let it deter her, "Of course but inside," she said not giving a Aria time to voice a protest. 
"You must miss Bridgeport, Riverview just lacks something. I was living in Monte Vista when I met Norman that's my husband's name and when I moved here ahh, I still haven't gotten over it," Alicia explained as they walked through the door. 
Aria fought the urge to whistle when she walked into her place, "I've actually started to like Riverview," Aria finally answered. 

"Oh I'm glad, but personally I can't wait to see the family in Champs Les Sims, its where we holiday. You should come the family are dying to met and you can bring Hunter as well," Alicia told her excitedly.

 Aria shook her head, "No that’s not why I'm here, I want to know if you gave me the job because I was family?" Aria asked her seriously.

 Alicia gave her a puzzled look, "Of course, not that that matters the Salon is more of a front business, its a miracle I get time to run it with all the callings on my time." 

Aria felt a sick feeling creeping into her stomach, Ariel had told her that her family didn't make money from the best means and here Alicia was admitting it.
 "Oh you should come work with us, we can talk to daddy about it," Alicia continued but Aria hardly heard her. 

She had gotten the answer she wanted the job in Riverview came from her bio mom's side of the family, rich from blood money. Which made her pockets lined with it too and Alicia was convinced she wanted part of it? 
"I can't," Aria spluttered out, "I'm sorry, I quit," Aria announced before turning and running back out the door. 

By the time she had parked the car back at home, Aria was a lot calmer. Though her job had come from someone else, her large client list was by her merit, which is why Aria had decided to that she should open up a salon at home. It wouldn't be hard since she did mostly house calls and was hardly seen at the salon anyway. As Aria made her way inside she was only pondering how to put this idea to Hunter who she found hunched over the computer screen.

 This didn't surprise her as he had been eager to get started on his new book after he found out that once again his latest horror Twisted Lies was a best-seller. 
He looked up in surprise when he saw Aria, "You're back," he exclaimed. 
Aria nodded, "It didn't go how I expected it to," she admitted and told Hunter what had happened.

 He frowned, "Now might not be the time to say it but something about what you were saying about your family wanting to help you reminded me of something. Anyway to cut a long story short the Barnies owned this home and sold it to us. Which probably explains why we got it so cheap," Hunter informed her. 

"What do they want?" Aria questioned confused, it didn't make sense. 
"They take care of their own and like it or not Aria you are one of them," Hunter said to her. 
Aria shook her head, a steely determination lighting her features, "No I'm not and I will tell them that."  

No comments:

Post a Comment