Wednesday, June 5, 2013

Chapter 3 - Fall's Arrival

Aria Zion had started a new chapter in her life, Bridgeport was a segment put firmly in the past. Each day since they had arrived in Riverview had helped her prove further it was her home.  Aria hadn't backed out on the second day of working, receiving a free tattoo from Larry on a moment of workless lull.


 She was soon finding out that whether you wanted a makeover or tattoo people seemed to gather at the salon, it had a reputation for being a friendly and joyful place and Aria soon found herself with several friends. 

However she remained the closest to Hunter and Larry her fellow workers. She never meet Alicia only the occasional phone call and her weekly stipend declared to Aria that she even existed. Hunter told her she was bogged down with other work and had recently had twins so couldn't come in to the salon. Aria accepted the explanation content enough with her work life to not question it.  Besides she had gained a promotion so she couldn't be happier.  

Hunter was also doing well at work but much to Aria's distaste he owed it all to Constance Shelby. He had meet her at the library one day as he was working and the two had instantly clicked becoming fast friends. 

As soon as he mentioned he was working on a book she asked to look at it, revealing she was an editor, in a week Hunter's The Three Immortal Sisters was published and quickly established itself as best-seller. 

When the phone call had come in Aria had been as excited and grateful to Constance as Hunter had be. 

She didn't have any qualms about inviting her over for dinner on Hunter nineteenth birthday and the dinner was a huge success to everyone but Aria. Aria was no fool, she knew a look of lust and Constance lusted after he husband, Hunter seemed oblivious to it but for how long Aria questioned and when he did find out what would he do? 

These were the answers Aria feared. Hunter seemed to sense her discomfort with Constance, it was impossible to know someone since birth and not notice small things like these. He limited his time with her, talking to her on the phone and only meeting her for business. Aria had never felt more gratitude, she knew he didn't have to, after all she worked from 9 till 7 most days with two men. However Hunter never questioned her feelings, as always he made the sacrifice for her.  

Fall come fast like an unexpected visitor, a further warning of trouble to come. Both Aria and Hunter welcomed it in different ways. Hunter focused on keeping his exercise up joining the Riverview gym and it was there he spent his time through five to eight.

 Aria welcomed it with the after work drinks with Larry and Hunter, the way to warm up after a hard day. 

It was in this times of happiness enjoying herself that she wished Hunter had another friend apart from Constance. She should have trusted Hunter enough to allow him to stay friends with Constance, her decision not to protest against it was only going to come back to bite her in the end Aria knew this. The problem was Aria loved Hunter more than the world itself, losing him was not only unacceptable, it was inconceivable. 
"I've had Roxie Lin in for a makeover twice this week," Aria declared to Hunter and Larry, it was a running joke between the three of them to keep tabs on their customers. Let us not assume it was nasty gossip session, no it was a celebration of people who enjoyed and appreciated their skill. 
"Mary Kay Shallow three times," Hunter tells her winning the bet. 
Larry laughed, "I can't even compete with that, say Aria when are you getting your next tattoo the last one was only tiny?" Larry prods her, something he loved doing. 
"Whenever you're ready to give to me," Aria told him, feeling once again in the spirit of things. 
"Give what to you?" a voice from behind Aria shocks her.
 "Hunter," she exclaims in shock, surprised to find her husband's figure behind her.
 "Sorry, I knew you were here, I hope you don't mind," Hunter replies, seeming uncomfortable at Aria's reaction. 


Aria shook her head, "Of course not, I'm so glad you decided to come," Aria said sincerely.
 The truth was she had been wishing he would come since they started this tradition. In Bridgeport they had, had the same group of friends and it always felt wrong enjoying herself without him. "So we finally get to meet the famous Hunter," Hunter says to him. 
Hunter smiled, "And I the other Hunter and Larry of course," he added. "I can only imagine this is going to get confusing," Larry commented eyeing Hunter up and down.
 Aria couldn't blame them they had been working together for months and they still hadn't meet the mysterious husband. 
"We were talking about my tattoo before," Aria quickly put in remembering the words Hunter had overheard. 
"Getting another one?" he asked surprised, she hadn't exactly talked to him about it. Aria shrugged, "What can I say I've got the bug." 
Larry slammed the table, "That's right, it's a bug. Sure you don't want one bro," Larry offered to Hunter. 

Hunter seemed uncomfortable at the suggestion, "I'm good with my skin," he finally said. Larry shrugged not offended at all, "You two Hunters have more in common than just the name then," he joked. 
Aria laughed Hunter even though he had been working at the salon for years had continued to refuse Larry. Aria envied his self-control just a little. Aria and Hunter both went home having had an enjoyable time, Hunter though not exactly friends with the two men could understand why them and Aria got on so well. 

Aria could tell he was happy for her, but despite this she still wasn't ready to let Constance into Hunter's life. They already seemed to meet enough with Hunter's second book An Angel's Wing, well on the way to being finished. She couldn't allow him more time with her, she was indeed a selfish person.  

No more packages had come and Aria firmly believed that just like Bridgeport that part of her life was fading into the distance. However every dream of a perfect future was shattered at 2:30am on a freezing fall night. The few blankets Aria had on weren't enough to keep her warm and she was already awake when her phone rang. 

"Hello," she said groggily answering it before Hunter could wake up. The news on the other end of the phone was not good, Aria's entire body tensed, "Are you sure?" she whispered fear present in every syllable of the question.
 The voice on the other end of the phone confirmed it, Aria breathed heavily turning to look at Hunter's figure, scared to find his eyes opening as the voice on the other end of the line continued to talk.
 "Yes, I understand. I'll be there," here Aria paused, "of course I'll leave right now."
 She hung up the phone turning to Hunter who was now standing up. "Where are you going?" he asked still sleepy and confused.

 "Bridgeport," she said sticking to the one word answered knowing she couldn't tell Hunter. 
"Why has something happened?" Hunter asked instantly worried. 
"No nothing like that, I just have to go and you can't ask why," Aria tells him firmly her voice sounding steely.
 "Aria is this about," Hunter starts but Aria cuts him off, "just leave it," she snaps. 
"You're leaving in the middle of the night and you won't even tell me why I won't leave it," Hunter shouts his usually calm demeanor cracking at the early hour and circumstances. 

"I'm not taking this I have to go," Aria snarls trying to pin the blame back around to Hunter. 


"Why can't you let me help you?" Hunter calls after him. "It's not your place to help," Aria mutters under her breath. 

He couldn't know because she loved him and she couldn't drag him into her problems not these ones, she was doing this for him.  


Oh and tell me if its getting too confusing with the two Hunters and I start calling Hunter from work Hunter C. Also here's the point when I had Larry the tattoo artist outside her house as a zombie I had to take a picture.

Also just a cute one of Hunter and Aria to end this chapter.





4 comments:

  1. I can understand those who have jelousy issues because of low self esteem, I am guilty of it a little myself.
    At the same time, I also don't go and hang out with guys at bars by myself when I know it would bother me. What's good for the goose...

    You write well but I am starting to think that she, personally, is not someone I will be agreeing with much.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I like how you are adding in a lot of the townies from twinbrook, makes people easy to recognize. Larry the Zombie made me laugh, and i'm glad you are distinguishing between the two hunters, I admit that I was confused. LOL

    ReplyDelete
  3. I ment Riverview: I always get them extremely mixed up, since I haven't played either in about forever. LOL

    ReplyDelete
  4. MMmmm Aria really needs to tell her husband what is going on. I really can not see their relationship lasting - Im not sure I like Aria - is that bad. And Hunter (her husband) I love him and feel sorry for him - he always puts her first - and so does she. I don't think they are very suited.

    ReplyDelete